Monday, July 4, 2011

Embarking on a pilgrimage

This blog will be the footprint of a double pilgrimage.  The obvious pilgrimage is the journey to and within England, which begins tomorrow.  With the enormous financial assistance of a lovely grant from my school, I will be spending one week taking a course in the teaching of Advanced Placement English Literature at Worcester College, Oxford, and another week circling southwest England in the footsteps of Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, Arthur Conan Doyle, and King Arthur. Then six days exploring London as the guest of wonderful friends!  So this blog will begin as a travelogue:  a check-in with my family, a report for my school, and a memoir for me.  Hoping I can keep up, especially in the days when I am frantically finishing the sixteen books required for the course!

The other pilgrimage concerns my lifelong quest to write, thus far limited to school writing and my own journal, now opened about once a year at most.  For forty-five years I have claimed "no time" as the public excuse and fear of nothing to say as the private one.  At least one of them was real.  But now I have chosen to use this travelblog as a jumping-off-point for further writing.  Where will it go? 

Let's just say I'm loving the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment